Status: Full-time | Location: Ottawa, ON
A Network Engineer (NE) is a lead technology specialist for the Technical Services group. The individual is expected to have a strong working knowledge of core and Cloud network technologies (Cisco, WatchGuard, Fortinet, Azure) as well as skills and experience in servers, common applications, and client service. The NE is to have a core specialty and be an authority in their area of expertise. This individual is responsible for executing project work and for supporting customer IT environments as per our client engagements and service agreements. The role is also responsible for providing leadership and oversight within the Networking, Cloud Technologies, and Infrastructure and Applications groups.
- Recommend solutions that align with the customer’s business needs and requirements.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key technical contacts within the customer accounts and becoming a trusted resource to these individuals for your technical area of expertise.
- Stay up to date on technologies that are relevant to the role (Cloud, infrastructure, and applications).
- Document all aspects of work: standards, procedures, diagrams, credentials, configurations, correspondence, and definitions.
- Work closely with IT project managers ensuring constant communications, raising issues and escalating as appropriate for the projects being working on and assisting to complete projects.
- Perform network assessments, security audits, and new client consultations.
- Provide configuration assistance to other solution deployment team members.
- Work on several projects at a time.
- Possess experience with consolidation, and migration projects.
Expectations for this position:
- Strong learning aptitude and ability to learn new technologies independently.
- Self-motivated, guided, directed, and passionate
- Must have excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Positive attitude towards change and ability to adapt.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work in a team environment and interact with all levels of management as well vendors and customers.
- Strong problem solving and Analytical/Reasoning skills.
- Well-proven time management skills while remaining flexible in responding to changing company and/or client needs.
Preferred Technical Proficiencies:
- WAN Technology (MPLS, VPLS, VPN).
- Firewalls: WatchGuard, Fortinet, Cisco, SonicWALL.
- VPN connectivity troubleshooting and configuration (Cisco, SonicWall, OpenVPN, IPSec).
- Security software such as Anti-virus, Anti-SPAM, Anti-Spyware, and other security-related technologies.
- Azure Hands-on experience:
- Azure networking – Azure gateway deployment and management
- Azure Multi-factor authentication
- Azure Security
- Windows Server 2003 – 2019 experience
Canadian “Secret” clearance. A College diploma in Computer Science, or equivalent experience and 5+ years of progressively responsible experience in a similar role; preferred Watchguard, Cisco or Fortinet certified. Microsoft certification would be preferred but not required.